Thursday, August 12, 2010

Paper Play DT Card - Bon Voyage

Can you believe it is Thursday again! My this week has flown by. Thursday is PaperPlay Challenge day for me and today I am excited to share with you this Bon Voyage card. That is our theme this week - to make a holiday, trip or moving card. I bought the Magnolia Stamp Club this time around and so I decided to use some of my new stamps from this set to make a Nautical themed holiday/summer fun card.
I followed the sketch from Crafting Life's Pieces. It was an enjoyable sketch to use...plenty to fill up a card! The base of my card is Craft Cardstock with Ballet Blue and Next to Navy. I used a Stampin' roller on the Ballet Blue with Vintage Photo Distress Ink. I also distressed and inked a lot of the edges.
I used some newspaper as well as some blue and white DP scraps. I added some mesh and a blue rope/shoelace I had in my stash (I have no idea wher it came from!).
I added some Crystal effects on the water.

Over at Magnolia Stamp Lovers the challenge is to use Edwin.
I used this image of Edwin and I really like it. I think he looks quite handsome and confident in his sailor outfit...maybe its the "man in uniform" thing that has got me liking this stamp he he he. There was a little space in the corner so I added the pelican in as well. (Had to google the correct colours for a pelican...havent taken that much notice of the colours on one before.)


I saw this technique with the buttons in Issue 25 of "Australian Simply Cards" magazine and thought I would give it a go. In the magazine they used ribbon, but I used hemp twine to match with my sea theme. You thread the twine through two holes of the button, then go around the card, come back to the top and go through the other two holes.
Something a little different I guess.


I think this card will also suit The Pink Elephant and One Stop Craft Summer Fun challenges. Plenty of Summer Fun involved with sailing the ocean I think!

And lucky last, but certainly not least at Magnolia Down Under and Charisma Cardz their challenges this week is Easel cards. I dont make them very often, but I thought it might be nice to make this card extra special.

Phew! What a long post...if you are still reading you have done well to get here! I hope you join us over at PaperPlay this week with your Bon Voyage card. This week you can win a $15 voucher at Simon Says Stamp...I bet I could put that voucher to good use, I bet you could too!
Thanks for visiting my blog today.


24 comments:

Kylie said...

This is really cute Alicia! I I love all of the details and buttons. Gorgeous watercolouring. A great nautical easel card.
Thansk for playing at MDUC this week,
Hugs
Kylie

Julie M said...

Gorgeous card, Alicia - I love your colour scheme and all the nautical elements and bits and bobs - bet you're glad you didn't throw out that shoelace!!

Julie xx

Cindy said...

I really like that background paper, I'm not sure I would have seen the potential in it. Great layout, too. Please join us often at the MSL challenge. Cindy2

Deirdre said...

Alicia, amazing card - what details! wow. Love them all.

Vera Yates (Ling) said...

Adorable card, Alicia. I loved that pelican, too. So cute!!

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous easel card! I love the twine, buttons and mesh, and the gorgeous color scheme! Edwin and the adorable pelican are beautifully colored! Thank you for joining us at Magnolia Down Under!
Hugs,
April

Faye said...

I just LOVE this easel card, it is wonderful, all the little details are fab. Thanks for playing at Charisma. x

Mandy said...

Alicia your card is absolutely gorgeous hun, love it
hugs Mandy xx

Loz said...

AWESOME!!! You rock anything with heaps of layers!! I love all the different bits, those buttons look great and loving your 'shoelace'!! Have a great day ♥

Jeannie said...

Alicia this is absolutely wonderful!
All of the embellishments are perfect and I love the button technique - I'll have to give that a try.

Peace & Luv,
Jeannie

papertrails leaver said...

Your Bon voyage card is beyond adorable and the use of the buttons at the top with the twine is awesome!

Sammi said...

Wow! this looks AWESOME! love your card Alicia! that twine is very effective!
Sammi
xxx

Leigh said...

Oh wow, love this card. I like pelicans. The colours and embellishments are just right for the theme of this card.

Shelley said...

This card looks amazing!! I love the image, layout and the colours you have used. Thanks for joining in with this weeks OSCC. Hugs Shelley xx

Peta's Blog said...

This is a gorgeous combination of images, I love the colours and embellishments and papers. Thanks for sharing with us at MDUC xoxo Peta

jannes hobbykrok said...

This is so gorgeous!!!I love the way you`ve coloured Edwin!Such a stunning card!
Cant wait to visit your blog again!
Love,Janne

JenniferOSteen said...

Wow, this is really amazing! Love the button and twine embellishments. Thanks for playing at Charisma Cardz this week!

stampingandstitching said...

Wow Alicia this is such an amazing card! Fantastic design and details! I love your colouring, embellishing and all the texture too!

Chelsea said...

Oh My Alicia, you've done it again! A stunning card with a wonderful take on the sketch. Wow! The color theme is perfect, everything is perfect! Thanks for taking on this sketch, hope to see you back.
Luv,
Chelsea

Elise said...

Oh my goodness Alicia! This is absolutely STUNNING! The colors, all of your details ... everything is PERFECT! Wow wow wow! Thank you so much for joining us at CLP!

Hugs,
Elise

Cathy Spicer said...

GORGEOUS card!! Very summery. Thanks for playing at OSCC.

Sassy Scrapper said...

WOW Alicia what an awesome card!!!! Edwin is so darn adorable! He's colored in beautifully along with his feathered friend. Great job on all the embellishments used in creating this beautiful card. I just love it!!!!
Thank you so much for joining us for this months challenge at CLP.
Hugs Bonnie
CLP Designer

Patricia Mae said...

I love it very sweet. Love the colors. Thanks so much for joining us this month at CLP, Good Luck.
~Patricia

Hege-Annie Simonsen said...

Absolutely FAB nautical themed card! LOVE IT!
Thanks for playing along with us over at the CLP challenge blog and the August sketch challenge! Good Luck!

Hege xx